Search This Blog

Friday, February 10, 2012

Adventures in Tiny Land

I'm working on my Freebie Fifteen alternate block.  It consists of four 6.5 inch blocks.  Two of them are the  template blocks, that have appeared every month in this series.   The other two have the tiniest pieces I have ever seen.  Here is the drawing from the instructions:

That centre square is finished 3/8 x 3/8.  The tiny pieces beside it are to be cut 11/16 inch wide.  They recommended that we purchase a ruler that measures in 1/16 of an inch!  I can't even SEE in 1/16 of an inch.

So, I came up with the brilliant idea to paper piece the block.  One problem, though - that nice drawing up there is not to scale.  So, I got out the graph paper and drew something that was close.  The tiny pieces would finish up 1/4 inch wide rather than 3/16.  Here it is with most of the tiny pieces done.


Here is the finished piece.

And here it is trimmed.

I made one error, and I should have known better.  I forgot that paper pieced blocks end up reversed.  I didn't reverse my pattern, so my block is the mirror image of what it was supposed to be.  Oh well - it certainly is not critical in this case.

No comments: